Sunday, February 14, 2010

V Day

Excuse me while I think out loud
A little habit I have
Who cares if there’s a crowd
I’ll tell you one thing right now
This won’t be politically correct
Hope you didn’t come here looking for that
You might as well close your eyes and ears
Because all I know how to be is real
All this Valentine’s day hoopla
I just can’t get into it in any way
First of all love is year round
Don’t do anything for me today
You can’t do next Monday
If you need an excuse to do something special
Then I don’t need you in my circle
Ignorance is a pet peeve of mine
Are you celebrating something
Not knowing the time
Of day, or the way
It came about
In the first place
Now if you can give me a good reason
I’ll respect that and keep it moving
But if you all can say
Is “It’s Valentine’s day”
Then you have some reading
And studying to do my friend
Yes I said it
Britannica it is
Or whichever you choose
Just know Wikipedia is not the one to use
4th century slapping was used to promote fertility
Looks like that will cause you to lose a baby to me
5th century had to do with love
Secret marriages hid from the king
Valentine killed on Feb 14th
Heart cut out and given to out to eat
So now you buy candy hearts
And send them out to eat
What message do you see
Seems gruesome to me
Wait let’s not forget the Valentine in the 3rd century
Can anyone tell me who we are celebrating really?
When you find out
Let me know
And exactly what I’m celebrating him for
Let’s get into some pagan history
Raffling off teens for sex
The men get a rite of passage
These girls get vexed
Stuck being used for a year
Giving goods that’s so dear
Something they can never get back
Christians have no originality
So we take holidays and make them what we want them to be
Now we raffle saints to imitate
Can someone tell me how it got to how it is this date
And this cupid kid
He was a Roman God to bid
Isn’t this worshipping false idols
Now I’m even more confused than when I started
It can have me in circles all day if you allow me
Now just in this last century
Let’s mark it with another massacre
And celebrate with glee
Is it really for lovers
And if it is
What about those
With no love to get
Now we have left people out
Yet again
Another “holiday”
Causing depression

No comments:

Post a Comment